TPC Wakefield Plantation
McConnell Golf has partnered with Concierge Physical Therapists to provide exclusive health and wellness services to its membership at TPC Wakefield Plantation.
Kjersten Marlow, MPT, TPI, SFMA
- Graduated with a Masters in Physical Therapy from Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA (1998)
- Managed out-patient orthopedic clinics and treated patients in Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina for > 12 years
- American Physical Therapy Association member – Orthopedics and Sports sections
- Focused focused training on golf and running performance enhancement
- Treated, trained, and developed patients in local gyms, personal training studios, and on the course/track for the past 5+ years
- “BACKtoGOLF”: Total Performance Golf trained in 2003
- Level 3 certified medical practitioner for Titleist Performance Institute (TPI)
- Certified in Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA)
- Certified in Y-Balance Training
- Experience with KVest golf analytics software to help clients truly understand biomechanics of their golf swing.
- Author of “Core Stability and Junior Performance” – Junior Golf Magazine (Dec, 2016)
- Managed the clinic that was awarded “Clinic of the Year” for the Eastern Regional District — Matrix Rehabilitation (Dec, 2002)
- Awarded “Clinician of the Year” for the Eastern Regional District — Matrix Rehabilitation (Dec, 2001)
- Awarded “Best Platform Presentation by Graduate Student: The John L. Echternacht Research Award” at the Virginia Physical Therapy Association state conference (April, 1998) — Presented research study that compared the effects of solid, hinged, and no ankle-foot orthosis (AFO’s) on the functional performance of young children with spastic Cerebral Palsy (CP).
Dr. Ernest Brown is a Washington, DC native, family physician, and founder of the house call medical provider, Doctors To You. While in medical school, a young Dr. Brown predicted a life in the emergency room; however, after mentorship by one of the country’s leading house call doctors, things changed. This experience working in homes rather than in clinics steered his focus from being a run-of-the-mill hospital employee, to fulfilling his purpose as a true caregiver by staying connected to the community that made him.
In 2015, Doctors To You was born with the mission to rebuilding the doctor-patient relationship, giving patients the care they deserve. Today, it’s a burgeoning movement in the DC area, providing both residents and visitors seamless access to quality care without having to go out and find it—the doctor comes to you! “I greatly enjoy providing both traditional and charitable house calls. I have a distinctive and patient-centric vision of how house calls should be practiced and have spent my career bringing that vision to life.”
Old-fashion? Maybe. But with Doctors To You, Dr. Brown is spearheading the return of the house call, and has achieved local and national recognition for his outstanding service by outlet such as: The Today Show, NPR, and The Washington Post.
Visit doctorstoyou.com to learn more about Doctors To You and Dr. Ernest Brown.
Wakefield Member T.L. Testimonial
I’ve had recurring “lower back pain” for the past several years on a spectrum from annoying to debilitating at different times. I received chiropractic treatment sporadically during this time period with some very temporary relief, but which ultimately did not lead to a lessening of symptoms or identification (much less correction) of the underlying problems. As a former college athlete, I was extremely disappointed and frustrated in my diminished ability to train and perform at a high level both in the gym and on the field, and I was resigned to the fact that this had a become a life-long issue. In November 2017, I saw a flyer in the Wakefield Fitness Center for Concierge Physical Therapists, so I decided to give it a try given the convenience of therapy at the Fitness Center. I had my first session with Kjersten at the beginning of December, and one month later, as I write this, I can honestly say that I am on the path to recovery!
Within the first 60 minute session, Kjersten not only identified the root cause of my problems, but also corrected the main culprit, which provided me immediate relief and enabled me to walk out of the fitness center pain-free for the first time in recent memory. I understand that this sounds too good to be true, so I will provide some additional commentary to bring this into perspective. First, Kjersten’s knowledge was immediately evident as we discussed my situation, background, pain areas, activity level, etc. She then performed a correction technique to address the primary issue, and then we discussed and implemented an exercise and stretching regimen to begin re-training my body as a means to fully alleviate the root causes of my back pain. After one month, I can now complete a workout with minimal to no pain, and I feel more confident pushing myself in the gym and on the soccer field, which I have not been able to do for several years. I will not say that I have been pain-free for the past month. What I can say is that Kjersten provided me a set of tools that allow me to address the issues myself (self-correction), which has been extremely helpful as I can do this at home, at the gym, or wherever needed. The freedom this provides, both physically and mentally, has been a revelation to me as I am not constantly worried about “tweaking my back” and then relying on someone else to provide some relief.
In summary; I’ve found Kjersten to be an educator first and foremost. I now have a better understanding of the systemic causes of my back problem, and how all of the various joints, muscles, etc. work together to provide proper body function. In addition, Kjersten has provided me some techniques to alleviate the pain by correcting the root causes, but also a training guide to reprogram my body so that my issues do not return. Finally, after several years, I feel that I can go to the gym/soccer field and still perform at a high level, with renewed confidence that my body can and will support my objectives. I will continue to attend sessions with Kjersten to further improve, but it is very liberating to know that I am finally in control of my back problem, and not the other way around. I highly recommend Kjertsen’s services to anyone who not only wants immediate relief, but has longer-term goals of understanding why they are experiencing the issues, and wants to be proactive in improving their overall physical well-being.
Click below to schedule an appointment or call us directly at 919.438.0680. No prescription or referral is needed.
We accept insurance and you will be billed directly from your club for the services. Participating providers with Medicare and accepting all other insurances.